Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I hope that's fruit they're throwing!












Yesterday Nigel took himself off into the jungle for another one of his epic reccies - one of these days he is going to come across a giant anaconda and have the beejeezus scared out of him!



At one of the old forts he came across a large troop of howler monkeys, they were just hanging around in the vines and climbing over the ruins so he sat down under one of the trees to watch them go about their business. After a while they gathered in the tree above him and proceeded to throw fruit at him - well he guessed it was fruit as they were picking it off the tree. When he didn't move one of them climbed into the canopy above him and peeded all over him - now perhaps he would get the message!



I wish I wasn't such a scaredy cat where snakes are concerned, it didn't bother me too much in Trinidad going across the field as I guessed they would slither away as soon as they heard me. Out here they are big b*ggers that wouldn't think twice about sizing me up for a meal. It just means that I miss out on so much of the wildlife, although I have to say there is more than enough around the marina to wonder at. We came across a group of coati-mundis the other morning - I've put a picture of one above, not great quality as it was with my camera. The others are of the sloth taken by Liz as it crossed the road and the howler monkeys.


We will be going through the canal on Thursday afternoon around supper time in Canada - 10 pmish in the UK and mid morning for NZ. I will put a link on the next blog for anyone that cares to see us go through, we will be going through the Gantun Locks on Thursday evening and then through the Miaflores on Friday. I am hoping to hang a flourescent pink flag in the rigging of Honalee - just so you know which one is us. I will try to wave but as I'm a linehandler I think I might be slightly busy, however if we are hthe middle boat it should be quite a leisurely proceedure.






No comments:

Post a Comment